Kerry Massage Newsletter Winter 2015-2016
Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor. — Thich Nhat Hạnh
Hello all. It’s been a while. Since my last newsletter almost 2 years ago, things have settled down quite a bit and I’m happy to say that I am back to doing massage therapy on a more full time basis and accepting new clients. I have added teaching group yoga classes at Shiva Shanti Yoga School along with my individual private yoga classes. This coming year I will be teaching my own group classes at the Alpine Community House in Alpine, NJ as well as exploring other yoga opportunities.
This is exciting for me, and a long time coming, because I have always wanted to combine the benefits of both massage therapy and yoga. Now is the time. I’m looking forward to bringing these holistic modalities to my clients this coming year.
Gift Certificates are available for regularly priced Massage and Yoga Sessions at $10 Off. Call, text or email if interested by Dec. 26, 2015. I can mail this out to you or you can stop by Kerry Massage and Healing Space to purchase and pick up. Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and Debit accepted as well as checks and cash.
In this newsletter I have included an article by Nadya Andreeva on the benefits of yogic breathing. I hope you will read this and it makes you curious enough to add this to your daily life. If you would like to explore breathing techniques further we can also set up a session including this.
The rhythm and the depth of your breath directly affects the state of your mind and the health of your body. According to yoga and ayurveda, breath is a carrier of Prana, the energy that gives life to the body. No breath, no life and no energy!
1. Breath = Life. Our energy level depends in a big part on our breath. The fuller you breathe, the more energy you will have. Taking deeper breaths will bring in more oxygen in to the body and improve your energy levels.
2. Less Stress and Better Digestion. Slow deep breaths help to activate the parasympathetic nervous system which is when the body gets the chance to recuperate, regenerate, and heal. It’s very important to help keep a healthy immune system and get out of our “flight or flight state”. Those of you suffering from poor digestion, bloating, or constipation will benefit from learning how to put your body into a “rest and heal” state and activate the parasympathetic nervous system. This is the only state when your body can digest food efficiently.
3. Less Inflammation! There is a lot of talk about how cancer and many diseases can only live in an acidic body. Deep breathing is said to reduce the acidity level of the body making it more alkaline, reducing your risk. It reduces the stress levels which when elevated can increase the acidity levels.
4. More Awareness. The more awareness you have in the present moment, the more likely you are to connect with your intuition or internal teacher. Your body knows how and what to feed itself to be healthy, how much and how often to move, and how much to rest. It is a matter of learning to listen to that voice and understand it. The slower you breathe, the more likely you are to hear that internal teacher.
5. Better Relationships. Most relationships would be better if people were less reactive. Can you imagine if instead of saying something mean, you were able to mentally step back and chill before talking? Wouldn’t that be nice? The state of your mind affects the breath, the reverse is true as well. When you are angry your breath is fast and shortened. When you are relaxed, your breath is slow and complete (hopefully!). The next time you are arguing with someone try taking longer deeper breaths. Notice how that can quickly reduces anger and allow you to look at the situation from a new perspective.
A good thing about breathing: you can do it anywhere and anytime. Even 5 minutes of slow deep conscious breathing once or twice a day can make a huge difference.
Thank you all for your patronage and I look forward to working with you in the coming year!
Ms. Kerry Ann Fernandez, LMT, RYT
NJ Lic. #18KT00128500
NY Lic. # 005348-1
Kerry Massage and Healing Space
Business Mobile 201.681.5626 call/text
Hours of Operation:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday ~ 9am-9pm
Friday and Saturday ~ 9am-5pm